Sunday, May 16, 2010

Miles for Moffitt...Great Cause, Good Schwag!

Ran Miles for Moffitt five-mile race yesterday. I was worried about the heat, but it turned out to be not so bad. Mind you, I don’t run well in the heat, so 5-10 degrees and a bit lower humidity would have been much appreciated, but it is Florida in the middle of May. Not gonna get much better than this.

Official finish time was 44:11, so was fairly pleased with that. 13th in age group. Not stellar, but not horrible either. I used to be firmly smack in the middle of the pack...now at least I'm up towards the top. Robin came in 11th in her age group! Luckily, the 5 mile race started at 7:30, ½ hour before the 5k, and the course was shaded in many parts. One thing I didn’t count on was all the uphills, but then I just thought of hills in San Fran…for all 26.2 miles. Not so bad in comparison!

Highlights of the race were getting to run with my friend Robin, and knowing I was running to benefit Moffitt. I got chillbumps as I ran past Moffitt itself, thinking about the last time my Mom was over. At that point, the leukemia had gotten the best of her and she was so weak she couldn't even walk. Moffitt could very well find the cure for cancer, and 100% of the proceeds of this race go directly to them for research.

And…the food schwag at the end was great too. I always judge a race by both the course and the food at the end. This one had lots. Here’s the loot: 3 bottles of water, 2 vitamin waters, 3 Cascadian Farms dark chocolate granola (dark chocolate granola – who knew??), 1 granola bar, one Marathon bar, 1 mini Luna bar, one sample Frappe from McDonalds, one sample Smoothie from Planet Smoothie, three small tangerines, 1 banana, ½ bagel from Einsteins, 3 bags of Nutrition nuts, 1 pack of cookies and 1 coupon for a free Frappe. How’s that? Not bad if I do say so myself.

And would you believe this? Afterwards I went over to Einsteins and ordered myself an egg and cheddar bagel…full price. There are some things a girl just can’t give up…unemployed or not.

Up next, hand to hand combat with rodents (I suspect) that are eating all the tomatoes in the garden. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. good job! especially in that heat...i know you loved that part! you got enough food in the swag bag to feed an army...my goodness.

    ReplyDelete