Friday, May 7, 2010

"Fan", a name, I call myself....


Check out the Publix flyer this week. You can find it at http://www.publix.com/. They run their sale from Thursday to Wednesday, so it is becoming a new habit of mine to plop myself down in front of the computer and to go through the new flyer on Thursday morning. I must admit, I was pretty excited this week. The last couple have been mediocre, but this week, lots of good stuff.

Two biggest things – a $5 off coupon and a BP gift card offer. And for me in particular, a Cheerios BOGO deal. If you want to take advantage of the Cheerios deal, try to get your hands on some coupons. You can use two…even if one of your boxes is free. One way to get a coupon is by signing up on the Cheerios website; they’ll send you coupons worth $1 for one box. So, with one $1 and one .55 coupon, I ended up paying a $1 per box. Pretty good deal.

And here’s the deal on the BP card…buy $25 worth of groceries, get a $50 gift card for $40. That is a $10 savings on gas. That’s a great deal. Also, both regular Publix and Greenwise published a $5 off coupon when you spend $50…so stock up this week on non-perishable BOGOs and grab yourself a gas card while you are there. Let me reiterate, this is a good Publix week!

One thing to note, I want good deals, but not just on any food. I want good deals on the good stuff…and while you can’t always get all your staples for cheaper, you can usually find a version of them with some sort of savings. For instance, this week, Publix’s organic milk is on sale for $4.99 per gallon. That is something I’ll always spend money on…organic skim milk and eggs. If you check out the organic food websites, like Organic Valley or Stonyfield Farms, you can usually print coupons once a month that are good for milk or yogurt or eggs. I’m discovering that a lot of manufacturer sites offer great coupons. And then, if you can get a retailer coupon, you can combine the two. That is something I recently learned. I knew you could do that at Walgreens, but found out that Publix and Target offer it too. These are the times when you can sometimes get stuff for almost free!

I’m watching Facebook closely. Lots of postings from Sugoi and Powerbar. Powerbar’s focus has really been on events. Still waiting to see if they offer any deals. I don’t imagine Sugoi will offer anything as most of their distribution is through retailers, but it would be a great experiment for them to try. Sugoi, are you listening? Offer 10% off their website and see what kind of response it gets. BTW, I just got two new tanks and a pair of my favorite Jackie shorts on sale at REI Outlet online. Been a long time since I splurged on any new clothes, so I’m feeling a bit guilty. However, I’ve already worn the one Betty tank for my run and weight workout yesterday, and it did great. So, as long as I’m putting them to good use, I’ll feel justified.

On the food front, I did my part today to participate in some Facebook promotions. I went into Einsteins this morning and claimed my free bagel. I’m saving the free bagel and shmear coupon for either tomorrow of Sunday. I did at least buy a coffee to go with it. $.99 to fill my tumbler. Save the environment and some money! And this afternoon, I ran over to Starbucks to try a half price, make it your way Frappuccino. Starbucks is offering this for a week I think, from 3-5 everyday…and it seems like a great hit already. I got there right at 3 and it was already packed. A group of five women was in front of me, all ordering Frapps. I started polling them, and while some had seen the promo on t.v., most were very vocal about being Facebook “fans”. Obviously, people are still calling themselves “fans” even though the terminology has changed to “like”. And I admit, I do too, cause how do you turn “like” into a noun you call yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment